October 02, 2006
Holiday Cooking, Blogger Style
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
.
Now that we know we won't be having another marathon move before Christmas this year, I am starting to think of hosting the holiday at our home. Which, of course, makes me think of all the cooking and decor and the baking and cooking. I start to think of the things I make every year and of the things I might make this year, since we hope our parents will all come here for Christmas.
.
Another blogger came up with the great idea of sharing our favorite holiday recipes. I am really looking forward to checking out and trying some of the other recipes from the participants over at Overwhelmed with Joy. If you'd like to join in, go on over there and sign up with a link to your blog. Also, if you participate and you're a friend of mine, please leave a comment on my blog, so I can go back and check out your recipes.
.
This first recipe is one I've been making for more than 10 years. Our family originally had it when my dad's younger sister brought it to a holiday meal after moving to North Carolina. It has become a staple at every holiday, even though I spend the holidays with a different side of the family. My husband's family has come to expect it at each holiday gathering. It is one of my favorite things and so so simple to make:
.
Spoon Bread
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
1 egg
8 oz sour cream
1 stick butter or margarine, softened
1 can cream-style corn
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
.
In a medium sized bowl, whisk together all the ingredients. Pour it into your casserole/souffle dish. Bake for about 45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
.
Category: Side Dish
.
This next recipe came to me by way of my Grandma, on my stepmother's side. This is another one that has become a favorite at family gatherings. Every time I make this, I remember the holidays where we'd gather in the basement at Grandma and Papa's and eat buffet style in the basement, Papa always cooked the turkey in the oven downstairs. {sigh}
.
Cranberry Relish
.
8 1/2 oz can crushed pineapple
3 oz cherry jello (sugar free is fine, but regular is better)
small unpeeled orange (quartered, seeded, ground - I use my food processor, but Grandma swears by her salad shooter)
1/2 c. sugar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 c. ground cranberries (same as orange, though this year I think I will try my Pampered Chef food chopper)
1 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
.
Drain pineapple, reserving syrup. Add water to make 1/2 cup liquid (I have frequently gotten 1/2 c from the pineapple and add no water).
Dissolve jello and sugar in 1 c. boiling water
Add syrup and lemon juice
Chill til partially set
Fold in fruit, celery and nuts
Pour into 5 c. jello mold*
Chill overnight. To serve, run warm water over the outside of the mold to loosen, place lettuce leaves over the jello and your serving plate on top of that, invert entire stack so that the relish is on top of the lettuce.
.
Category: Side Dish
.
*(I use smaller bowls and make two, since I don't have a jello ring mold. This also allows for "leftovers" to be served just as nicely, especially if your gathering is smaller.)
.
Don't forget to head over to Overwhelmed with Joy to check out other great recipes.
Posts written by humble servant
4 Your Comments

monk & neagle banner
Dress up your blog with Blog Togs!

Powered by Blogger