June 21, 2006
Broken Record
I know, you're probably sick and tired of me talking about moving, but this is what is consuming my life right now, so don't read if you're going to be rolling your eyes.
.
I have to say that this move is really the easiest, so far, of any of our interstate moves. Even though we were thrilled to be moving back to Florida, there was the reality of a long separation and the tiny apartment we moved into (so small, in fact, that most of our stuff ended up in storage). And the fact that everyone we know is an hour from here..... So, aside from the hiccups of the last couple weeks (do we or do we not have a house to move into?), this is really the best experience I've had to date.
.
For one, we have friends in the very town we're moving to. Incredible friends. Friends who seem to be excited about us moving there. So excited, in fact, that one was instrumental in us finding a place to live. And even more, she's helping my husband scan and email to our new landlord the signed lease. We also have friends less than 2 hours away. One who is willing to come down and keep our children occupied while the truck is being unloaded and helping with the girls for another day or so while we get as much unpacking done as possible. Yet a third friend is willing to come over and hang out with me while I unpack. These friends are helping this experience feel much less scary - and even dare I say? somewhat exciting.
.
Secondly, going back to Georgia isn't such a bad thing. We're still within easy driving distance of our family in Florida, and we plan on frequent trips "home". Realistically, we know we won't visit more frequently than about every other month, but if we need to come back more, then we can.
.
Thirdly, but not least, this is the shortest time between Husband starting new job and family moving. [When we first moved away from our families in 2003 (coincidentally, Husband began the job in Atlanta right about the same date three years ago), we were separated for 2 months. When we moved back to Florida at the end of 2004, we were separated for almost 3 months.] And this time? about 2 1/2 weeks! We were in GA last week, so we were mostly together for 8 days in the middle of a 3 1/2 week separation. We are losing only one month on our lease here (ouch! it hurts to pay double rent, but it's worth it to be together sooner). And bonus, the property manager will arrange for the carpets to be cleaned once we move out (something that is our responsibility per the lease). Of course, we have to pay for that carpet cleaning, but I'd have had to pay whether I took care of it or not.
.
Things are falling into place easily. Last week with the house fiasco, I knew that we were moving into the right house - God truly led us to it (helped of course, by Cara). The movers were able to give us about the dates we wanted (a bit earlier, but close considering the timing). I have had an easy time of taking care of the smaller details, everything being rather simple.
.
I even was able to arrange, with the help of a charity, to donate a sofa with a sofabed to a family in need. With only 2 days notice. And it's a silly thing to be excited about, but I am happy to give the sofa to someone who actually needs it rather than just giving it away. I guess the sofa maybe represents something of the bigger picture for me. That God will work out every single detail?
.
The money we've needed to move is basically falling in our laps (okay, not really, because we still have to pay it all back). And it is incredible that at a time I do not want to use credit cards to facilitate any of this, my mom is in a situation where she can give a short term loan. (Maybe most parents can do this anytime, but my mom hasn't really been in a position ever to do that before).
.
Am I happy about moving? Not really. But I am embracing it in a way I didn't think possible before. I will definitely miss our family and friends here. And our church. And our doctors. And our community. And our neighbors. And most everything about living here. But I know that we will be happy wherever God leads us. And I'm especially grateful that He's led us to a place where we have good friends. A place that will be easier to enjoy after living in this smaller town. A place that will become a new home for us, for however long we are blessed to be there.
.
And all these things make it so much easier to get through this week of lists and tasks and things to do. Because I really do miss my husband and my children really miss their daddy. But we know we will be together again in one short and fast week. And that makes it all the sweeter.
.
God Bless You.
Posts written by humble servant
3 Your Comments

monk & neagle banner
Dress up your blog with Blog Togs!

Powered by Blogger