July 12, 2009
Summertime
I realize it's been more than two months since I last posted. It's been enough for me to get through the days, really. Right after last time, the girls and I were away for almost two weeks. We went to Savannah for a day with friends on our way to Florida. We did not spend as much time with our family as we might have liked (noone seemed able to join us in Orlando during our week's vacation), but we had a relaxing family vacation camped by the pool.
.
Upon our return, it was full speed ahead to finish schoolwork for the year and prepare for three summer visitors. Some friends have had a rough go of it the past few years and their children have suffered greatly as a result. The kids have been living with their 70-ish year-old grandparents for the past school year and needed to have some fun for the summer. So, we invited them to come up.
.
I won't go into too many details, but when you are a kid who comes from a chaotic family life, you don't necessarily behave in an appropriate way. It makes me very sad that these kids I've known and loved since their births would be in this situation and so ill-adjusted. It's been a challenging summer for all of us. I think I will be writing about it some in the coming weeks, particularly after they go home in 9 days. This experience has turned my world upside down in so many ways.
.
We have tried to do many fun things with all these kids (5!!! All the same ages!!!), but their behavior and attitudes prevents us from doing all that we've wanted. All the same, we have managed a number of fun things this summer and no matter how challenging it's been, it has been pretty awesome so far compared to last summer (when I couldn't move much, due to my knee injury and subsequent surgery).
.
This coming week will be filled to the brim with incredible things, starting each day with Vacation Bible School. I think we'll start earlier with mass most mornings. In the afternoons, I have a few things up my sleeves and if we can figure out a hotel, we'll be heading to DC for the entire weekend.
.
All this to say.... I don't know what. I suppose one day, when I close all this down, I'll archive it first and be able to look back and see what I was doing with my family in the summer of Aught Nine.
.
Until next time, God bless you!
Posts written by humble servant
3 Your Comments

monk & neagle banner
Dress up your blog with Blog Togs!

Powered by Blogger