November 02, 2007
Day 2: We Are Family
So, someone specifically asked to hear about my nuclear family. We are great, actually. I really think that aside from Husband's work woes, we are the best we've ever been.
.
As I said a few days ago, we've traveled a lot this year, we've been to Ohio 3 times, New York state (for a baptism), Philadelphia (for an afternoon and evening), Kitty Hawk, NC for a week at the beach... Plus out-of-state visitors - 6 times this year? So, we've been busy. Throw homeschooling with a new school this year and that's quite enough to keep us occupied almost every day.
.
We have an active social life. I know that those of you who know me at all are incredibly surprised by this one. No, seriously. We've become quick friends (really, I am telling the truth here) with a particular family and have done a lot of socializing with them. It's a shame, really, because I invited them for something next weekend and they already have plans (they are more social than we, but then they've lived in this area from birth and have a ton of friends). I think I need to make another good friend or three so we don't end up in this spot again - wanting to invite a group and only able to come up with two people in addition to us. There's a concert next weekend at our church and we've heard fantastic things about this guy (from our folks in FL, even) and we'd like to have a group at our house for a casual dinner before the time at church. So, making a couple closer friends is now on my agenda. This shouldn't be that complicated for me, but I am feeling panicked.
.
The girls are good. They are both doing well with their schoolwork this year. It's nice to have girls who like school, it makes it easier to teach them. They still take piano lessons and are eager to have a recital, which their teacher doesn't do (??!?!?!) in preparation for Festival, when they go before judges in February. So, I'm working on getting the piano tuned at a local nursing home so the girls (and possibly some of the other homeschoolers) can do regular recitals for the residents there.
.
Silly Sally has taken her last riding lesson (of the year?), since she's agreed to branch out (and free up our extra-curricular funds). She'll be starting indoor soccer soon. She's still hilarious and goofy. Also, sweet.
.
Bookworm is taking a sewing class for a couple Saturdays (she's been wanting to for months, but she's still not quite at the age they allow - they are making a one-time exception and we'll see how she does). She is unnaturally excited about it. Also? What the hell happened to my sweet and compliant girl? Since she turned 7, she's become this lying, disobedient, disrespectful thing to her immediate family members. To outsiders, she may still appear to be sweet and kind, but when it's just us, she's someone else entirely. I have no idea what to do - I've tried soap in her mouth, hot pepper sauce, taking away priveledges... The kids seems immune to punishment all of a sudden. And I am losing my mind. I never thought I'd see the day when Silly Sally was the obedient one. Not that I expected her to be disobedient her whole life, I just didn't think her sister would not be obedient.
.
So, Husband and I are sufficiently stumped. Things are going well, no life changes this year... And yet, we can't figure out how to parent our seven-year old. This could become a problem as in about a year and half, we will have another seven-year-old and I am worried that 7 is the new 13 (though Bookworm is certainly not acting like a teenager in anything other than her mood and 'tude). Any ideas?
.
Husband is good. Well, better. Job is going better than a few months ago, though this market seems to be weird as far as people caring about the quality of work they do, so it makes it hard for him to hire managers. He's still playing drums every other week with a band at a neighboring church. And this weekend, he's flying to Florida to see a UF game and spend Sunday with his parents and grandparents.
.
I'm doing well. I've got some health issues bothering me, and am in the process of trying to find a doctor who will look at the whole picture and help get things under control. Other than that, I'm just busy busy busy. I've lost more than 30 pounds so far and would be making further progress if not for the aforementioned issues, which have halted my downward trend. But, I'm wearing clothes that I haven't been able to wear in at least a few years, which feels fantastic.
.
I don't have time for pictures right now and am still counting down the hours - only 36 hours left of 7,6,5 and 4. I don't know that I will make it, but at least it's only 36 hours. I finally find a reason to be grateful for at least a couple of our miscarriages - I was NOT cut out to have a slew of kids so close in age. Even for a few days. :) Really, the girls have been delightful, if loud and giggly.
.
Guest blogger, are you ready???
Posts written by humble servant
0 Your Comments

monk & neagle banner
Dress up your blog with Blog Togs!

Powered by Blogger