May 17, 2006
Swirling Thoughts
I've been sitting on an unwritten post about the thoughts swirling in my head over the last week. I've found myself unable to express to you what's been going on - the constantly changing, ever-present drops of this rollercoaster.
.
I usually love rollercoasters. Can't get enough, usually. If the line is short, I'll jump right back on for second and third rides. This rollercoaster? I am definitely not liking so much.
.
I do not want to move. I love it here. I have made some really good friends through church and a family around the corner has become almost like family in a very short time. We even had Easter with them. I like the small town feel of our downtown, the beautiful parks, the lakes.... I like that we're seeing our families about twice a month or more. And that I'd made a recent commitment to help with Husband's grandparents to free up his mom a bit so she can take care of things at home with Dad.
.
So, when this whole job business came up, I felt thrown. I told Husband when we moved back to this area that I would not move out of it again. Being near our family is too high a priority, I said. I want our children to be close to their grandparents, I said. I want to help when we're needed and even when we're not needed, I said. And he agreed. And there remained in the backs of our minds that his company doesn't have another location nearby. And to move up in his career, Husband needs to go to a bigger, better location. And this thought has been tamped down repeatedly in the backs of our minds, since we didn't want to truly face the reality of his industry. At least not while things were going so well. And certainly not shortly after we got some discouraging news about his Dad's health.
.
And then, less than two weeks ago, a job came available in central Georgia. It's only 5 hours away and we knew it was time for a move up for Husband. And we knew if we waited until the company offered, we might not have an opportunity so close to home. So he called. And the boss of that location was interested, so Husband called his Boss. And Boss mentioned Baltimore. And we discussed it. And decided that central GA was a good decision for us. Lower cost of living meant we would buy a house right away. We have friends there, so it would be a smoother transition. With Atlanta only a couple hours away, we'd have lots of friends and a city we love close enough to visit. And most importantly for us, we were only going to be 5 hours away from our family.
.
So, we drove the five hours. He met with the potential-new boss. It went well. There was bad, but it was things we could live with. There was great - we had a nice relaxed dinner with Cara's family. The kids played, the adults chatted, the women drank wine.... It was lovely. As we hugged on our way out the door, tears sprang to my eyes at the thought of this becoming a regular event.
.
The next morning, he met again with the potential-new boss. They agreed on numbers and timing. It was all wrapped up with a pretty bow on top. We loaded back into the van for the five hour trip home. We talked about the town, we agreed it was an easy decision, we prayed and then we basked in the simplicity of it all.
.
And then he remembered to call Boss.
.
And then all hell broke loose.
.
We were thrown for a loop. Boss (a peer to the potential-new boss) explained why Baltimore is the better opportunity. Husband explained why central GA makes sense. And then he agreed to meet with the CEO and the VP and Boss in Baltimore to discuss this. And Boss threw some things on the table that make it a difficult decision. Things that greatly impact our future, at least as far as Husband's career. Things that are goals, but we never imagined them so closely attainable.
.
So, he flies out tonight. The meetings will be through the morning tomorrow. And he'll tell me over dinner tomorrow, in our current home that we love, what exactly they are offering to make this decision less painful for us.
.
And then, we will start planning the details of our move to Baltimore.
.
I will post something else about all the reasons I am excited, but I have laundry to do and a garage to clear out before noon.
.
God Bless you.
Posts written by humble servant
7 Your Comments

monk & neagle banner
Dress up your blog with Blog Togs!

Powered by Blogger