November 28, 2005
Lovely... and blessings! and Christmas!
Aside from being wiped out from having three children all week (Cara and Nino and you others, I have no idea how you do it!), I had a lovely Thanksgiving holiday. There was definitely a missing presence, but because the family tradition was changed, the day went a bit more smoothly than it could have. I do know now that my mom had a really hard time, but covered it up well until her family had left to go back home (out of state).
.
I really couldn't have asked for a better holiday, except maybe I could have had a better attitude on Friday when we were putting up the Christmas decorations (I'm praying my problem was PMS, rather than a newfound bitchiness). I said, we had an extra kid most of the week - and she was 16. My cousin, B, has "grown up" a lot in the past few months and I really don't like it much. [wry grin] I said several times throughout the week to V, "When you are 16, you better not act like cousin B". To which she replied, "Okay, mommy, I won't..... But you might need to remind me." Methinks more prophetic words have never been spoken by a 5 year old.
.
Monday, we were blessed to share dinner with some friends who were on their way home after taking their 2 year old genius son to see The Wiggles. We had a lovely visit and I wondered while they were here why we don't do it more often!
.
Tuesday, I can't remember what I did - cleaned the garage? Or attempted to? I don't know. I am pretty sure I also went to the grocery and did my last minute shopping for holiday cooking. Actually, no, we did that Monday. I guess we went to Sam's on Tuesday. Which wasn't really fun, what with all the crazies out shopping for copious amounts of excess everything. Tuesday night... Oh! Tuesday night! We had a date! Alone! With no kids! We went to dinner and then to BB&B to buy a new bedskirt to go with our new duvet cover, which will hopefully make it on the bed this week. We spent an hour! browsing around the store and basically doing nothing but hiding in the various departments making out behind stacks of towels and curtains. :) I guess we pretended to be like my 16 year old cousin - only less dopey.
.
Wednesday was filled with preparations and I have no idea what else, but it seems like I got some stuff done that day. Thursday was the holiday and it was all wonderful and mostly warm fuzzy feelings... .Though, maybe that was from the cheap champagne my grandfather-in-law brought for dinner.
.
Friday morning, I was up before the sun to go out and get some good deals. Funny thing is, I never go to the popular stores. I guess I just like to have the time before dawn to browse around and buy a bunch of stuff. I prefer to go to Jo-Ann and use the coupons and buy the doorbusters and this year I bought a few new decorations, since we're in the house. I never know what to get for Christmas for my grandparents, but I saw something in the ad that is perfect for my grandma, so that was the main draw at 6 am. I also went to a department store and bought a couple things for Adam and the girls. After grabbing coffee at Starbucks, I headed home to help start the decorating.
.
We got the tree up and some decorations, then I crashed, feeling like I was relapsing on being sick again. I woke with a start after a nearly 2 hour nap and then got started on dinner, since my mom and other family were coming for dinner to celebrate my mom's birthday.
.
Saturday, more birthday celebration and a mini-feast with my in-laws since some couldn't come ON Thanksgiving. In the evening, our friends' son's 4th birthday party. Oh, and my cousin's 6 yr old daughter slept over.
.
Sunday, we didn't get everything done that I wanted, but it was way more important that we rest and recover from many late nights and hundreds of miles of driving (just back and forth to our family!)
.
I did, however, get almost all my holiday shopping done already. I have a few odds and ends to pick up and stockings need to be filled, but the bulk of the gifts are bought and tomorrow night I shall start wrapping them.
.
My goal for tomorrow is to get some of the Christmas cards done while I am sitting at my mom's house waiting for her garage door to be installed. blergh!
.
It's just a few short weeks until we leave for our trip and I need to have all my holiday prep done before then. I can't wait!
.
There is a woman in my playgroup who was pregnant with triplet boys and they were delivered by emergency c-section last Wednesday at 27 weeks. They seem to be doing okay and all three are now off the ventilators. But, they're still all teeny tiny and need prayers. I am sure the parents need prayers too and their 3 year old daughter as well, as I am sure it is difficult to understand when she can't see them. So, if you're the type, please send up prayers for this family - especially that the precious sons (conceived w/o drugs! the odds!) would continue to improve and grow and that they willnot have future complications from such prematurity.
.
Until next time.... I pray your holiday season is starting off with joy and peace. I am feeling excited and happy and also a bit sad. I know this time will have some sadness for us as we change our traditions to make Pop's absence less obvious for the girls. We do have so much to be thankful for this year and knowing that Pop is in heaven has been the greatest gift I could receive this year.
Posts written by humble servant
1 Your Comments

monk & neagle banner
Dress up your blog with Blog Togs!

Powered by Blogger